a barrel-rested gin negroni
This drink is special to me for two reasons – 1. It’s my brother’s drink of choice and every time I make it, I’m reminded of so many great memories together 2. The title is a clever nod to my old stomping grounds and the restaurant that my best friends opened named The Cardinal. In addition to being our state bird, the cardinal is a beautiful symbol of the south often associated with premier southern hospitality like that of the magnolia.
“The Cardinal” is a twist on the classic Negroni cocktail. Although first invented in 1919, the Negroni has made an unbelievable comeback. Today, many mixologists have mastered the art of this cocktail due to its widespread praise from enthusiasts around the world. In our version, we add Cardinal Barrel Rested Gin because the attributes of vanilla and wood are the perfect complement to the bitter notes from the Campari. It is the perfect twist on an already beloved classic. Enjoy!
- 1.5 oz Cardinal Barrel Rested Gin
- 1 oz Campari
- 1 oz Carpano Antica Formula Vermouth
- 3 dashes Reagan’s orange bitters
- Naval orange
- Combine over ice in a mixing pitcher and stir with a long handle bar spoon for 30 seconds
- Strain mixture over a large sphere or cube of ice in a rocks glass
- Cut a large swath of orange peel and express the essential oils over the cocktail being sure to rim the glass before placing the peel in the drink and serving