This quick and easy tomato sauce is a family staple. I use it for our holiday lasagna, weeknight spaghetti and, of course, homemade pizzas! It’s packed with flavor and takes minutes to make!
Go-To Tomato Sauce
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes avoid any with basil included; I use Cento all-purpose brand
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- zest 1 lemon
- freshly ground black pepper
- On a cutting board, top garlic cloves with a drizzle of olive oil and kosher salt and chop to a fine paste.
- Add 1/4 cup olive oil to a cold saucepan along with your garlic paste.
- Sauté at medium heat – enough for the garlic to sizzle but not burn. This should take no more than 45 – 90 seconds. You don't want the garlic to turn brown. Once the garlic is fragrant remove it from the heat.
- Add red pepper flakes.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and bring to a gentle simmer, this takes just a couple of minutes.
- Remove from heat and taste. If it needs more salt add it now.
- Stir in the zest from one lemon and add freshly ground black pepper to taste. Cover and let rest for a minute or two.
This sauce is great on my quick and easy naan pizza. See how to make them. Here’s a link for my Girls’ Night out Wine and Pizza party.