I always keep these gems on hand to kickup flavor and add a finishing touch to any dish. These Quick Pickled Red Onions are great on hot dogs, enchiladas, chili even huevos rancheros. They also brighten potato and pasta salads. This recipe will keep for two weeks in your refrigerator. Here’s a budget tip: use the vinegar from the onions to replace red wine vinegar in recipes.
Quick Pickled Red Onions
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- Combine first three ingredients with one cup of water in a small bowl until sugar and salt dissolve.
- Place thinly sliced onion in a sterile jar.
- Pour vinegar mixture over the onions and let sit at room temperature for at least one hour.