This recipe is so easy to make you’ll want to keep extra boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix on hand so you can whip some up whenever the craving hits you. It’s the perfect side for my Elk Chili. Get the recipe here. It’s also great with soups and hearty winter salads.
Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 fresh jalapeno (remove seeds for less spicy)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1/3 cup milk (I use almond milk)
- 1 egg
- Add cheddar cheese and chopped jalapeno to the corn muffin mix ( I chop my jalapeno into a small dice)
- Using a baking dish or cast iron skillet, place 4 tblsp of butter in the center of dish and place in cold oven
- Preheat oven to 400F and allow the butter to melt as the oven comes up to temperature
- Once your butter has melted, remove from oven. Swirl butter around dish to coat the bottom and sides of pan
- Once the butter has cooled enough that it will not cook the egg, mix the egg, milk and butter together
- Then add these wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Blend well. Pour into your pan or skillet.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.